There are many things to remember when it comes to move day – almost too many! You might think that once you’ve booked the movers all you’ll need to do is pack up your home, but that’s not the case. There are many other items that must be checked off the list before your move. One of them being, if you don’t have a driveway and live in a busy area, is a moving
truck parking permit. Beltway Movers can not secure the permit for you it’s something you need to handle on your end. It’s fairly easy, but you’ll want to secure the permit sooner rather than later, so you’re not scrambling to get one at the last minute.
Beltway’s fleet is designed to accommodate the alleys, cul-de-sacs and courtyards of the communities we serve. Your role is to ensure that parking space is available nearest the front of your home for the parked truck. Failure to secure space for the moving truck will require the crew to search for parking or walk long distances to your home with your furniture in hand while on the clock.
If you don’t have a driveway or ample on street parking in front of your home, you’ll need to reserve on street parking spaces with posted signs through your local police or government center. You might also elect to use companies that will perform this service for you. If you’re interested in this sort of service, we recommend contacting MovingPermits.com – they’re permit pullers that will secure a moving truck permit for you for a fee.
If you’re more of a DIYer, below are links to local government organizations that can assist you with obtaining a moving truck parking permit for your move day.
- Alexandria https://www.alexandriava.gov/tes/info/default.aspx?id=3458
- Arlington https://topics.arlingtonva.us/permits-licenses/transportation-right-way-permit-guide/moving-van-permit/
- Falls Church http://www.fallschurchva.gov/DocumentCenter/View/3098/Parking-Space-Reservation-Request?bidId=
- Silver Spring, Bethesda, and Rockville https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/DOT-Parking/FAQ/contact-info.html#SO
- Baltimore: https://parking.baltimorecity.gov/types-residential-parking-permits
- Frederick: https://www.cityoffrederick.com/Faq.aspx?QID=62
Below are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to securing and installing moving truck parking permits.
- Most jurisdictions require that reserved parking signs be in place no less than 72 hours prior to move day.
- Remember to check if there are posted hours or rush hour limitations on your street. Advise your move consultant of any restrictions.
- For busy city parking you might place obstacles such as cones or trashcans in the spaces where you have posted no parking signs to encourage people to comply.
- Our moving trucks require 3 car sized spaces minimum; 4 spaces would allow safer extension of a loading ramp.
As always, if you have any questions about this blog post, please let us know. We understand there are many pieces to the puzzle of moving and we’re here to answer any questions you have.
Are you planning a move this summer? If so, call Beltway Movers today at (800) 968-8348. We look forward to moving with you!