When moving, the first thing people think about is their house/apartment and its main living areas. But there’s one area you should NOT forget about – your garage. Before moving, you’ll want to make sure your garage is fully packed and cleaned. Read on to learn a few tips and tricks for packing up your garage.
- Pack your tools in a tool kit! It makes for an easy, no-mess transfer to your new home.
- Clean your tools and garden equipment before moving. That way, you’re not tracking dirt and oil into your new garage!
- Wrap sharp tools in bubble wrap or old towels and sheets. Doing so will help to protect anyone that’s moving them from being injured.
- Empty the fuel from the necessary equipment (i.e. weed whackers, lawnmowers, chain saws, etc.)
- Where possible, stack chairs. It’s easier for movers to pick up and pack them if they’re grouped together.
- Do you have items you don’t want to take to your new home? If so, have a garage sale! It’s an easy way to get rid of stuff you don’t need and to make a few extra bucks. If items don’t sell, donate them. Learn more about why you should donate in this blog post. At the bottom of this article, we’ve included some additional locations you can donate to.
- As a reminder, just like for the other rooms in your home, be sure to label all the boxes so the movers know where they go.
- In the same vein as your garage, don’t forget to pack up your shed and basement!
- Cost Estimate Reminder: When completing the estimate, make sure the estimator is aware that you have a garage, shed, and/or basement. This will ensure you get a correct estimate of moving costs and the company has the right equipment for your move.
- IMPORTANT: Do NOT pack hazardous fluids. By law, and for safety reasons, moving companies are not allowed to move hazardous materials. Please be sure to dispose of the materials safely before moving.
Where to Donate:
Are you planning to move soon? If so, call Beltway Movers today at (877) 830-7515. We look forward to moving you!